The best way to make any changes to your lifestyle is by taking small steps. Be it getting more exercise, changing your diet or altering the amount of time your family spends together, it’s always going to be easier to do it in stages. I encourage you to
reflect on the goals or resolutions you made for 2015 and how they have been realised. It is just as important now to look ahead and start planning your goals for 2016. This is especially significant if you feel stuck in a rut, without direction or a general unhappiness about your life. Create a plan to get your life back on track by identifying and planning ways to achieve lifelong goals. Here are eight rules of goal planning to help you focus on achieving your innermost aspirations.
Rule 1. Set a goal you truly want to achieve
1) Is your goal exciting?
2) Are you up for the challenge?
3) Will it make positive changes to your life?
4) How long have you wanted to do this?
5) Are you ready and raring to go?
Rule 2. Ensure your goals are real, tangible and likely to be achieved.
1) Does your goal require funding – do you have the available cash?
2) Can you goal be achieved alongside your day-to-day responsibilities?
3) Check your goal is challenging but realistically achievable: will it keep you motivated to succeed?
4) Don’t be inhibited: exciting, life-changing goals can be achieved with
persistence, dedication and effective goal planning.
Rule 3. Write down a goal plan of action.
1) Writing it down increases your commitment.
2) Post copies of your goal around the house so you are inspired by it every day.
3) Document while your goal is so important to you.
Rule 4. Break it down.
1) Split your goal into smaller tasks.
2) Plan your schedule so you can accomplish one task at a time.
3) This will motivate you to stay on the path to success.
Rule 5. Picture the scene.
1) Imagine how it will feel to realise your goal.
2) Remember this feeling and refer back to it on a regular basis.
Rule 6. Go For It!
1) Don’t let anything or anyone stop you from accomplishing your goal!
2) Overcome any negative thoughts and keep the end result in mind.
3) Congratulate yourself for taking this step towards success, happiness and
Rule 7. Remember the basics.
1) If doubts creep in, refer back to rules 1-6 to kick-start your desire to achieve
2) Remind yourself of the benefits of achieving your goal.
3) Review what you have achieved so far to keep you motivated.
Rule 8. Celebrate!
1) Ensure you celebrate the small triumphs and big victories until your goal is
complete and you are living the dream!