Tell Companies House about changes to your limited company

Reclaim tax

1. Overview

You must tell Companies House about specific changes you make to your limited company.

Start now on the Companies House service

Reclaim tax

2. Before you start

You must tell Companies House about changes to your limited company, including:

  • directors and company secretaries, eg new appointments, resignations or changes to their personal details
  • changing your company name
  • changing your registered office address
  • changing your accounting reference date
  • changing where your company records are kept, if different from your registered address
  • which records you’ll keep at an alternative address
  • changes to your company’s share structure, eg if you issue new shares
  • details of any new mortgages it has or mortgages it has paid off

Some changes may need you to pass a resolution.

You may also need to tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

What you need

You’ll need the:

  • email address and password you used to sign up for the Companies House online service
  • authentication code Companies House sent you

If you haven’t used the service before

You can register online. You’ll need to give your email address and create a password, then Companies House will post an authentication code to your registered office address.

When the changes take effect

Your address won’t officially change until Companies House has registered it.

Your company name will change when you register it. Companies House will send you a certificate with your new company name and the date of the registration.

Reclaim tax

3. Other ways to apply

You can use filing software if you have many changes to report.

You can also file changes by post – find the form you need and send it to the address on the form.

Last updated: 23 September 2016

Was this article helpful?

Related Articles